THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Unusual OOA

There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go.  ~ Richard Bach ~

I had an interesting discussion with someone about the merits of allowing training dives to extend to thirds or just planning shorter dives with specific skills and ending the dive when they are done. My feeling was there was a lot to be learned in regards to your gas management from continuing to thirds….IF you are paying attention. An unusual situation arose I thought I would share for discussion including both an OOA and if I was paying attention.

I dive a Nomad XT and broke a bungee; I was unable to get the same length one to replace it so ended up with 2 bungees the next length longer. Unsure how much this would affect where my tanks sat I joined two other divers, Forrest and Jeff on a test run down the Waterhole Tunnel at Peacock. I sidemount 85’s and my two team mates used larger tanks, I carry them valves pointed out and regulators and gauges up.

We started off with me in the middle and it didn’t take long to realize there was an issue with the tanks hanging too low. I found myself having to either lift them in the tighter areas or push the tanks back to inflate my wing and I corrected my buoyancy much more often because I was not used to having something hang lower than my chest during a dive. This was not really an issue just a PIA and I fiddled a bit with my butt plate attachment and pulling up the tank necks as I swam looking for better trim.

We reached the breakdown at the end of the Waterhole Tunnel, an area of silt bottom with the occasional rock sticking up, and turned the dive and I don’t think we were 2 minutes on our way back when an inhale brought me no air. Now your first thought is disbelief, that you made a mistake, another inhale and you will get air. When that doesn’t happen the string of words that run through your brain would make a sailor proud and I did not let them down.

I was lucky to have not one but two different instructors during my training that focused on two things. Managing an emergency and managing gas. I of course switched to my other regulator and in trying to manage my buoyancy I realized that my inflator was not working either. I got to the side where there was more rock than silt and made sure I had my team’s attention. This is where I now realize I owe thanks to these instructors as I had already assessed all my options without looking at my tank yet. From training and using my thirds, I knew how far I could go, what fiddling could cost me in gas and how far back I could get on what was left in my remaining tank. I also knew what should be in that wayward tank and that it didn’t just sneak out while I wasn’t looking. I was paying attention and it is a little unnerving to know how tight it was going to be getting out without help.

Now steadied, I started assessing my regulator and tank when I noted my gauge hose was limp meaning one of two things. My tank was really really really empty….. or the valve had rolled off. An unusual thing to happen sidemounting so therefore not my first thought. Roll off it was and it happened once more on my way out.

In constantly adjusting my tanks and pushing them back to use my wing and drysuit inflator I had slowly rolled the valve off on my left side….. and in swimming out I managed to do it again and much more quickly. The rub of my suit against the valve as I repeatedly pushed it back.

Knowing my gas management and use, and being able to put rough estimates in my head helped quickly assess the problem and not stress too much. Knowing my team had big tanks that were still flowing was even better. Staying calm and doing all this in under a minute I am appreciative of my teachers and mentors. Just sharing an unusual type of OOA for others to file away just in case and a reminder to others in training to make sure they take advantage of all you can learn in your courses.

Life is a grindstone. But whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends on us.  ~ Thomas L. Holdcroft ~

It was a great dive; I always enjoy the Waterhole Tunnel and Peacock System, about a 2000 foot trip into the world of wet rocks. 
 
On the Peanut Line, at the first set of double arrows on the left, sits the Waterhole Tunnel.  This passage runs parallel to the  mainline and doubles back in a meandering tunnel of silt and limestone.  The variety offered on this offshoot begins with breakdown and low bedding planes.  It moves on to the ceiling; vaulting up and white ledges of limestone jutting out into the passage forming a shelf on each side.  You pass through looking up and your light plays along the light colors of the ceiling and dark recesses below the ledge. 
 
This opens up to wider arched passge and you move along closer to the ceilingn with  the feeling of the echo of foot steps in a long library hallway.  The passage once again lowers and the floor is gray with silt, the occaisional white rock bursting through the surface challenging the dark powdery floor to swallow it up and  the tunnel ends in a break dwon pile, floor to ceiling.  If you wend your way through it you can see the light of the surface throught a jumble of rock and branches and then you turn and follow these same passages back out to the goldline and return to the cavern entrance knowing... knowing that just off of your right shoulder....beyond the wall of rock.... lies another passage, the same, but different, echoing in its own right.