THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Assault On Hart Springs

It's not whether you get knocked down. It's whether
you get up again.  ~Vince Lombardi~

Hart Springs lies in Bell, Florida along the Suwannee River. The park sports one of the largest spring fed swimming areas in the state and family oriented campgrounds with boardwalks, nature trails, canoeing and fishing. 

From the Hart Springs website
 
The Department of Environmental Protection states, "There are two springs in the area. The one farthest south discharges from a large circular limestone cavity extending horizontally to the south. The pool is about 5O ft in diameter and about 27 ft deep near the cavity. The spring run exits northwest, constricting to 16 ft in width and 3 ft in depth, then widens to form a swimming area, about 30 ft downstream, about 100 ft wide at the diving board on the east bank. The run again constricts to about 25 ft, and flows under a wood foot bridge. The second spring enters the main run from the right, the water discharging from a V-shaped vent. The pool is about 25 ft in diameter, and 17 ft deep. A short distance downstream from the confluence of the two runs, an inlet 25 ft wide and about 250 ft long extends to the right (northeast); a small foot bridge crosses it near its junction with the main spring run. From here the run meanders about 850 ft NW. to the Suwannee River."


After many years of being banned, diving is now allowed in the springs and I was going to give it a whirl.

We met at the steps leading down into the spring run of Little Hart. Mike Long had shown pictures of the cave at the Winter Workshop the day before and Forrest had briefed me on the flow and entrance. The spring entrance was narrow and straight down to a small opening that then turned and headed down once again. Once in the cave the tunnel would be narrow and chute like and flow would be kicking for the first 400 feet or so and then open up into rooms and passages with reasonable amounts of flow going through them.

Dumping all my air I followed on down through the winding passage to the first turn and pinned myself against the wall to keep out of the flow. Once in the cave I pulled along the walls staying high on the ceiling but after the first hundred feet I felt myself breathing hard against the current. I had blown through almost the first third of my right tank. I knew I had to slow down my breathing work smarter not harder.

I slowed my pace and my breathing and worked at making each pull count. The cave is very narrow here but not quite narrow enough for me to reach both walls and get any really good leverage. As we passed the 300 foot arrow the flow seemed to increase and the wrong tip of the head would free flow my alternate regulator and a poor handhold would pull me back.

I was losing this battle and thumbed the dive. If I pushed on to the wider tunnel I would be at or past my thirds and have to turn anyway. It disappoints me that I lost to the caves flow. The trip back I was able to orient myself and keep control. I had been warned about not letting the flow tumble me on the passage out and held my position to the surface. But I hadn’t made it all the way into the cave.

Twenty minutes of struggle and I was thwarted. I consider this a loss on my part. I knew it would be a struggle but I thought I was up to the task and using the tricks of making way in the Gallery and Lips of Ginny, I had thought would carry me through. This was not to be and my finger and arm strength failed to carry me.  My team mates struggled also but not to the point that they over breathed their regulators. Instead of being among the best on gas usage; I used double theirs. This was eye opening and has been cause for thought. I am not one to give up easily. I will be back.

Before year’s end I will return. I will approach things a bit differently.... plan my way farther into the cave. The entrance was not my nemesis but I will continue to respect it. I will do things differently when I get to the narrow tunnel with the wicked flow. I will start out making sure I concentrate equally on my breathing rate and my hand holds. It will be at my pace and may be much slower this go. I will use the walls a bit differently to pull along and get a fin hold where possible; stay on the inside of corners to avoid the worst of the flow. Maybe I will get all the way past the 400 foot marker and maybe I won’t. But I won’t give up trying. I won’t push past my safety limits but I will do better….. each time. I will get there.