THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Dutch Springs


DUTCH SPRINGS AGAIN
Some days stuff just happens. Some of it good and some of it ........ You can just do without.
As I walked into the shop to get my tanks filled earlier this week, the entire compressor bank was in pieces on the floor. Not a good sign. But parts were on their way !!!!! So I would return later for my tanks. I left with two different backs on my fins to mull over as possible solutions to my “fin frustrations”.
Back at home I asked the powers that be on a board or two their opinions while I walked around my living room wearing both fins and my dry suit and drinking coffee. Dennis found this most amusing but in the end I still remained fin challenged.
Upon picking up my tanks, the answer presented itself in the simplest form. A fin tab. Keep the old backs and add a fin tab to pull the back over the boot nub. Ernie will hate it but the idea grows on you. Now ....the kicker..... Upon replacing the old backs, several of the buckles and pins were brutalized and now have to be reordered and replaced. Nothing is easy. A pair of loaner fins and I am off.
I dont often go to Dutch Springs so many weeks in a row but, I have issues, all kinds of issues................
I slept in and arrived at Dutch at a leisurely 9AM. SeaCobra, Spratman, Banjoman, and BillF were there obviously anxiously awaiting my arrival, along with some of the guys from Marvel and “Stewy Smith from Brooklyn“.
After some “issue” discussions we suited up and it was suggested that I drop more weight. So I peeled off 2 more lbs and in we went, and I dirt darted for the bottom. Came back up to the platform and dropped 2 more lbs on the dock and headed out for a tweaking dive with Jack. We headed out for the platforms for a little buoyancy check, some hovering and finning skills and a helicopter turn or two and then a relaxing stroll on to the boat and bus and back around. Considering the fact that I was there because of floating issues, it was hard to accept that I might still be heavy.
While the thought of the excess in my dry suit being the culprit was tempting, several other suggestions were made during the surface interval. Among them was realignment of weights, harness movement, and backplate sizes and dropping more weight. There was also discussion regarding ironing, pepper variations for chili, what you CANT do with a crowbar and sheetrock, laminated beams, and what REALLY constitutes a supporting wall and how bad do you really need them. Interspersed were the usual jokes, stories and good natured ribbing. I must say, the guys from Marvel have some of the corniest jokes, Banjoman is not far behind with those “every woman wants 2 men...“ OY!, and Stewy struggled valiantly trying not to comment and remain politically correct (fine job by the way)despite all the opportunities Jeff fed him, thats his story and he is sticking to it.
Jeff had thumbed the first dive due to a leak in his suit but he was joining us for dive two. A realignment of my weighting had been performed and I was going to test dive it. A second Steel backplate was screwed onto my first and another 6 lbs removed from my harness. When we got to the dock someone had walked off with my soft weight from dive one, I was not pleased. We were going to go out to the new plane, shoot a lift bag and head on in. Slow and relaxing, just a 90 degree turn off the platform and swim out. Since Bill and Jeff both had their compass I did not need mine and could just follow behind, concentrating on my buoyancy and trim.
If I was the only one without a compass, why was I leading? Why did they keep following me and not pass me and take the lead? Why havent I seen the platforms yet, they are supposed to be right here. Why is Jeff tackling me!!?? Well, one reason could be because I was going in the wrong direction and they were laughing too hard chasing me to tell me, but that is only a thought. Upon taking a more passive roll and following Jeff, we had barely hit the first set of platforms when Jeff came across someone with a major free flow problem and accompanied them back in.
Bill and I continued on out to the plane to check it out. One quick cheating peek from the surface (by me not Bill) and we were at the buoy. A nice little practice descent and there we were . It really is kind of cool, an old fighter style plane with a propeller, newly sunk so you can still see all the parts and markings. Upon leaving to head back in we had some slight technical difficulties and I was afforded the opportunity to see the plane and hang on the buoy line once more.
A short surface swim, during which we discussed reels vs. Jersey upline and wrecks and we were in a position for Bill to practice his bag skills for his class next week, which he did quite well and we were on our way in for the day.
Some friendly conversation, a complete dismantling of my rig and reconfiguration (what do they have against the crossed shoulder straps?) pack up the car and I am off. Another long day tomorrow. Have to be there early with coffee for Jeff and meet Ernie and the “boys” and be among the first to view the newly completed Rookman Flag.
Oh, and the fin tabs performed admirably. I highly recommend them.
**NOTE - Moved to 2 SS backplates to move weight up over shoulders and went to 8lbs on belt. When I am not in trim and too verticle I move up. Once you have momentum it is really hard to stop and especially at shallow depths. Have to keep more visual references and better read on computer, which number is current depth.