THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Shark Tooth 101





Shark Tooth 101
My boat dive was cancelled. The forecast was for 78 F, 2-3 foot seas and SE wind. The Captain didn't think the viz would be good (read under 80 feet) and there was chop. Having been called a slacker by Sunny I needed a dive, so I went to Venice Beach. The seas were flat and it was only 63 F at 8:30AM but the sun was shining and there was the promise of a great day.
I was taking this opportunity to also try out a BPW so the day would be a learning experience in more ways than one.
The visibility was 1-5 feet, which is average for this area for some reason. I think it has to do with the currents but dont really know. The water temps were 61 F top to bottom with both current and surge.
Let us say that my initiation to BPW was slightly less graceful than a 3 Stooges episode, and I think that the fact that I was using one "slightly" larger than I needed had something to do with it. Or it could just be me. I will continue to work on this. But I did find several different teeth and am learning to identify them Sand Tiger Shark, long thin tooth and the root is V shaped
Lemon Shark, tooth is at an angle from root and not straight down
Bull Shark, tooth is straight up and down Dusky Shark triangular tooth at an angle from root
Some others I haven't identified yet Additionally I also found the dental plate from a Ray, they have no teeth but have this ridged dental plate which they grind their food with
and also the barbs from Rays which they loose regularly I also found 2 rocks that looked like teeth and a fossilized bone that looked like a rock. 65 minutes of diving... it is all good. Think I will give it a try again
tomorrow.