THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Pompano Beach _ Abbey II Reef


Pompano Beach Dive #2
We moved on to the next site, a reef they refer to as Abbey Too, a north/south ridge 40-60 feet in depth.
The sun was shining brightly, the temperatures were about 80 F and several people had moved under the canopy to sit and suit up. One of the members was working diligently at pulling on her 3rd wetsuit. Apparently Floridians believe in layering to keep warm. Three 3ml wetsuits is their idea of layering.
We joined up with several of Walters friends and jumped in for a relaxing drift dive off of the reef. As we moved along I realized that I may recognize more types of fish than I thought. I saw several squirrel fish, blue tang, juvenile tang, blenny, parrotfish and several types of wrasse. There were a few that caught my attention that I would look up later which included a white spotted file fish and a trunk fish. While I was chasing the file fish some others in the group saw a sea turtle and some squid. I really like the reef dives, you never know what you will find as you poke about.
I surfaced with another diver from the group and we drifted perfectly during our 3 minute stop and came up practically next to the boat and climbed aboard. We relaxed while the boat moved about picking groups of divers out of the water. As we came upon the last group of divers, which included my dive buddy and ride home, the mate threw out the hang line and then we saw it......... more Portuguese Man O War...... right in the middle of the group of divers.....more specifically.... right next to Walter. OUCH! He caught it right around his neck, which immediately blew up. OUCH!
So............ After pumping him full of benadryl, he slept and I drove all the way home, unpacked the car, repacked my car and drove on back to my place. I hate driving.