THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

G. A. Venturo Tug

Don't be dismayed at goodbyes, a farewell is necessary before you can meet again and meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. ~ Richard Bach


Someone once said to me “it’s always something with you”…….. that’s true…and it’s not a bad thing……

As usual, it was not just another day and not just another dive. It was late afternoon and I had had it with packing and the heat and humidity. A quick call to the Old Salty and I was going night diving….. Jersey night diving ….. woot woot!!

Nothing is easy for me and I am getting used to that. The site was to be the Venturo tug. Try googling that, it is of course not the actual name or all there is to it.….

The Sea Girt Reef is one of the oldest artificial reef sites in New Jersey. Reef-building activities at this site date back to 1937. On Thursday, October 17, 1996 as part of the Sea Girt artificial reef an old Navy tugboat was sunk in 80 feet of seawater and on Aug 16th of that year several APV’s (armored personnel vehicles) found a final resting place nearby. The site is called the “FCO Reef” (Fisherman’s Conservation Organization) The Tug boat was later renamed the G. A. Venturo in memory of Captain Greg Venturo, an avid fisherman, author, diver and founding member of the FCO who lost his life while diving.

I arrive at the Old Salty and am the first one there. I am soon joined by Benny who will be mating but not diving this evening. He promises me a cart to get my gear down the dock but I get tired of waiting….. or maybe too excited….. and lug my gear down myself.

In the parking lot I am met by Patty Miller and my excitement is increased with the thought of brownies and cookies. My last Jersey dive for a while is to be a home run and the surprises are not done coming yet.

As everyone loads onboard there is much hustle and bustle with the Captain and crew. Apparently the bridge is broken and a crane has been brought in to lift it so timing is everything and we have to wait a bit till this is done. Taking full advantage of this little lull in the action, Benny and I make a snack, drink and ice run. Kudos to the Marina Deli for re-opening and helping us out.

We arrive back at the boat and load onboard and I am met with another pleasant surprise. The rest of the divers have arrived and among them is an old friend and diver, Rafael. Rafael and I took our open water together at UDI and headed out the very next day for our first official dives at Dutch Springs, meeting up with the Wreck Valley crew. Talk about always something….. make your introduction to diving with Spratman, Johnny Rocket, and that crew…. It endeared them and diving to my heart…but back to the dive.
The bridge is opening and with Captain Nick at the wheel we make our break for the ocean. The evening is clear and warm with the sun just starting to set and the seas lay calm as we head out. The boat ride alone is worth the trip and I enjoy the time as everyone readies for the dive.
It is dark as we arrive on site and Dave jumps in to set the hook. I am to dive with him this evening and jump into my dry suit with just shorts, socks and an under armor shirt. I slip into my harness and as I am about to step off the boat Dave appears with a report. 10-15 foot of Jersey green viz and an entertaining show of jellies and bioluminescence on the way down to 54F bottom temps. Yes!! Move! Hurry up! I’m coming in!

We move on down the line and the light show begins with little tiny sparkling specs lighting up like twinkling stars and as I play my light around small jellies undulate and glide through the water with their transparent bodies soaking up the light in a milky white haze.

We arrive on the tug and Dave ties in and we are off into the sand to look for the APVs. We run out the reel as we fin along and mountainous piles of starfish dot the sand. In between these run beds of sand dollars with their thick brown coats and bright white ones lay among them waiting to be plucked and placed in your pocket. A skate is ousted from his bed and some small fish hang sleeping just above the sand. Some got to sleep….others were not so lucky.

There were scattered moon snail egg casings lying about and I picked up several shells looking for an adult but found only hermit crabs. I settled on a large one and carried him along pointing out all the sites and shining my light in his eyes when he didn’t pay attention. Alas we didn’t pay attention either and at the end of the reel had not come across the tanks. Making a quick sweep to see if we could snag them, we still came up empty and headed back in. Coming across yet another skate sleeping in the sand I placed the hermit crab atop of him and waited for the show. It was quick and foreseeable. The skate took off like a shot and the hermit crab tried to hold on but was quickly tossed like a rider from a bucking bull.

Arriving back at the tug we make a circle around it in the sand looking about. The sides are covered in a canvas of sponges, corals and anemones that played colors as the lights swept over them. The smooth sand bottom held a few small fish long ago given up on the hopes of a peaceful night’s sleep and more starfish and sand dollars.

We moved up the sides to the rail and again circled. Some larger taug were up here and as you poked inside the tug a few were nestled in along the walls. There were some small striped fish that looked like spade fish here, but they had an odd bump on their heads. I am sure they were spade fish none the less, maybe just smacking into things in the dark of the reef. Along the rails were teeny tiny mussel shells interspersed amongst the flora and fauna. And lining the deck were fuzzy white anomies waving in the gentle movement of the water.
A lone large eel had had enough of the ruffians intruding upon his nightly beauty rest and slowly made his way along the deck below me. I hovered and watched his graceful movement and he, soon slipped over and down the side of the tug and squeezing into a small hole below decks to resume his nights rest.

One more quick run down to the sand and I find a final shell for my bucket and we are on our way back up the line to the surface and warm night air. I again watch the light show as I hang and feel a sad tug inside that it will be a while before I get to do this again. Maybe.

As I climb the ladder Benny is waiting to greet me and pull my first fin through and bring me onboard. We talk diving and sights as we shed our gear and as I look over the side into the dark water I see shapes swimming about in the glow of the boats lights. Squid, about 18 inches long are swimming all about the boat playing in the soft light. I envy the last of the divers as they must be seeing them on their hang.

Captain Nick grabs a pole and tempts them as they swim about. But he gets no takers, just a show of these little buggers playing about in the light.

As we head back in the buffet begins…. Sandwiches and sweet juicy watermelon. And brownies….ones Patty made JUST FOR ME…. it’s in my dive report......It must be true….. so keep away! LOL

I sit on the table on the Lido Deck and watch the black of night meet the water, broken only by the small wake behind the boat as we head in. With the masterful timing born of a true captain we enter the inlet and slowly make our way in with each bridge open and awaiting our return home.

I am sad to be leaving my beloved Jersey diving, but if this was to be my last one for a while it will hold me. It had a bit of everything. Warm air, soft seas, and friends old and new. Fish to poke and play with, a new site to see, stories to tell, cart races on the dock and brownies. Life is good. As I unload my gear, I muse...... you know….. I can do this again next Wednesday night….. I don’t leave until Thursday morning………

And Captain Nick cocked his head and said…..Maybe…We will see…… So boys and girls….. give him a call and let’s do this….one last time ….. again…..

To all my friends……May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.