THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

The Dives I Didn't Make

We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came. ~ John F. Kennedy

I have had some tough weeks this year…… illness and injury keeping me dry. This week again I was destined to stay at the dock….or was I?

Maybe I couldn’t dive…. but I could mate. I packed up my box of tissues and headed for the dock. The sun was peeking out and there was the promise of sunshine and flat seas and I was getting out. One way or another.

As I arrived at the Lady GoDiver I was greeted by:

Captain Howard
Bart, and his new never been seen dry suit,
Harry and we will get to him later,
Stan the Popsicle Man and HIS DRYSUIT, 60F and he wasn’t diving wet, what’s up with that?
John, suave and debonair as ever
and Francis who valiantly tried to move me along to load my gear on board, only to learn I was the mate of the day, and pleasantly surprised at that.

The sun was shining and the day was already warming nicely as we headed out. Clearing the inlet we were met by gentle rolling swells and the promise of an enjoyable day on the water.

I knew that we would head for wrecks I had never visited but smiled as the discussion turned to which wreck to hit first. As usual I was befuddled and confused as suggestions were bantered about…..how about the one that used to be…no, not that one…..how about the one with no name over by….. no not that one….. how about the real Sea Girt Wreck, no to be confused with the one they call the Sea Girt Wreck, out past the other Sea Girt Wreck….. hmmmm we had a winner.

I finished my coffee as we lazily relaxed in the cabin catching up with one another and Howard and Harry told tales of past navigational trials and feats, including taking a row boat from Sandy Hook to Cape May. There was a voyage I was glad I wasn’t the first mate on.

We arrived at our destination and the anchor was dropped. Harry gave some lessons in knot tying and I still am practicing this grapevine knot he so diligently tied for us.

As mate, I helped with gloves and hoods and masks, checked tanks and hooked up inflator hoses. Got fins and clipped off lights and goody bags, paying back past times of assistance offered to me. Soon my boys were geared up and rolling off the gunwale as I handed down cameras and spear guns and waived “good bye…Luv you”…. And they were off, slipping beneath the clear cold water.

After putting the second wave of divers in the water, I waited on deck for their return as I knew the frigid water temps would keep these dives short. I mused how I stood here now in just a sweatshirt and last time out it was so cold on deck my mask froze on the inside. Soon my first group was back and I reached down pulling up goody bags laden with the days catch and treasures and spear guns and whatever else I could as the divers climbed back on board.

There were goodies to eat and others to contemplate and muse over. ¾ lb sinkers, what were they fishing for? And teeth marks from vicious scaled attack fish? There were lures and sinkers and pictures to share of the 25-30 foot viz. And cold cold hands from the 38F water. I broke open a package of hand warmers and put out a light snack….. after all, what are mates for?

We were soon all back onboard and sufficiently warmed and ready to choose the next dive site. Stan had been diligently poring over the maps and charts to no avail. After some discussion, information overload for me as usual, the Logwood was decided upon and we steamed ahead.

Arriving on target, the buoy was tossed, followed by the short discussion of the possibility that the wreck was deeper than the buoy line. No matter, short work was made of hooking the wreck and again divers geared up. One diver learned not to “hop” inside the cabin as he wriggled into his dry suit (low ceilings) and another skipped this dive as his regulator had some free flow problems on dive one and another contemplated how cold his hands had been fist time out….but it didn’t stop him from going down once more.

The dives were a tad shorter this time but more goodies arrived on deck. There was the lobster we accused of being short, but upon measuring he was more than legal….. and the goody bag laden with sinkers. More tales of good viz and cold water and how the winters currents had shifted the sands and uncovered a good portion of the wreck. There were lobsters with eggs and a dopey skate, and Stan graciously presented me with his “special” find which I will be cleaning up and setting on the mantle in a place of honor.

Everyone was soon back on deck and the anchor pulled and all that was left to do was collect our wandering buoy. No problem, Mate Cheryl at the helm.

There is some disagreement as to whether it was currents, my steering or Stan’s throttling that made us miss the buoy….. three times….. I can tell you the comments regarding how it would be dark in 7 hours didn’t help either…… (and it was Stan’s fault….but you didn’t hear that from me)
Soon we were clearing the inlet and backing into the slip. As we readied to unload the boat, in the corner of the deck laid a lone fish, speared earlier in the day ….. I hadn’t dived …… but what the heck….. you know it ……. I poked him .
I love diving.