THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

I Am Coming Home

Most of us, swimming against the tides of trouble the world knows nothing about, need only a bit of praise or encouragement - and we will make the goal.
- Robert Collier

Today was the final dive. I have spent the last nine days here in northern Florida engrossed in dive training. I took on quite a bit with this trip covering Cavern, Cave, Advanced Nitrox and Deco, and have passed all. I have had fun with my trip reports using humor to get through some of my less than stellar moments, and I did have fun, but I worked too.

Today we did our final dive, another guided dive. Again we were at Devils Ear and this time we were going to the Bone Room. Again I walked my deco bottle down the stairs and into the water before we made our way over the edge of the chimney and down to the cave entrance. The flow felt much stronger today. I guess the rain up north is making its way here through the aquifer. I pulled myself through and hid out of the flow while Jim tied in. I dropped my bottle behind the Grim Reaper sign and made my way up to the ceiling. I was leader again today.

You would think by now the tunnel would be familiar but I am still a tourist here. There are so many nooks and crannies and out croppings, I still haven’t seen everything. The walls change shape as you move along from room to room and tunnel to tunnel, moving up and down as the ceiling of rock rises and lowers above you. Each turn holds a new surprise. Sometimes it is tall and narrow and sometimes low and almond shaped. There are enormous rooms that you think will go on forever and slits in the rock you must pull yourself through. And then….. it is time to turn back.

Back at the end of the gold line I pick up my O2 bottle and am signaled to pull the reel. With the bottle and the current of water I still could use a little work on my buoyancy but I pull the reel without fouling it and we are on our way out to the chimney and up to the log.

We are joined on the log by a large river eel and he swims his way up and over the edge and into the river just ahead of me. I make my way back to the steps getting a few last pokes in and then I am out and I am done. I have passed all my courses and I’m on my way home. I am ready.

I researched my instructor, Jim Wyatt, and I am pleased with my choice and would recommend him without hesitation. He was thorough and well versed, not a hand holder and not a screamer. He readily conveyed information and he critiqued, not criticized.

That being said, I would like to thank everyone who offered me encouragement through all this. It was greatly appreciated. Really.

I wish everyone the Best of the Holiday Season, the Merriest Christmas and Cow Butts in your New Year.