THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Lady Godiver

Wouldst thou – so the helmsman answered - Learn the secret of the sea?
Only those who brave its dangers - Comprehend its mystery!
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Leisurely…..That is how I would describe arriving at the dock at 7:30AM. Leisurely….That is how I would describe the day. Nice. Nice and leisurely.

I was invited to join a group of divers on the Lady Godiver, with Captain Howard and with no 6AM boat call, I liked their style already.

It was cool out this morning…not cold… not autumn brisk…just cool. But the day held promise. We loaded on board and I was pleasantly surprised I that I either knew or knew of all the divers today, Captain Howard, Bartman, Jack, Francis, Rich, Mark and myself. The sun was shining and the seas were not flat but they were comfortable as we headed out.

The decision was made to go somewhere with high relief due to the currents and the Big NW Barge was chosen. This is the largest of the pieces of wreckage in the Northwest Barges which I had been diving on just a few weeks before, a group of 6 to 8 barges in about 70-75 fsw off the coast of Barnegat Light.

We talked diving on the way out. Places to go, places we have been, they are a very well traveled group and a wealth of knowledge. The sun warmed things up and although it appeared that the powers that be were messing with us, the numbers were slightly off, it didn’t faze these guys in the least. After a little coordination and cooperation between Howard and Jack we were right on the sight and dropping anchor.

Bart tied us in and one by one divers geared up and rolled in the water. Howard graciously set up the granny line. I don’t know if it was something they usually did or if he had heard of my legendary navigational abilities, but either way it was appreciated. We went down the line through a haze of green water and jellyfish. There were a mixture of different of jellies and even some of the “mystery egg casings” from my last Railroad Bridge dive. They seemed to like the warmer surface temps and as we reached the sand they had thinned considerably.

I was running the reel this time (don’t laugh, I can do that) and Mark was playing tourist (and even poked a fish or two). I wanted to run out my reel and see how it was working as I had some trouble with it sticking earlier in the season. The visibility was hazy and in the 5-10 foot range at the bottom of the line. I tied on to a piece of the wreck and almost immediately ran head first into a large wire trap that had been opened and upended. Scared the doody out of me but did remind me that I had to look up and not at my reel as we went along. Mark gave me a few reel pointers as we moved about and as we continued the visibility improved slightly and my navigational abilities improved immensely. I have been spoiled not having to run the line often and this was good practice for me.
We ran out a good portion of the reel before turning back (I don’t think I ever ran my reel out all the way…I don’t know if the line is tied to the spool or not…I should check that) and upon reaching the anchor took a swim the other way. At 77 fsw the bottom temperatures were only 63F, we have cooled down some and the wildlife was sparse. I did see a nice sized set of claws in a hole in the wreckage but there wasn’t a lot of room to reach in, as the opening was narrow and angled, and after a few tries I moved on.

I diligently reeled my little heart out and we were back at the tie in. My new steel 119 was performing admirably and while I still had plenty of gas left I was running low on NDL, so we poked around a little bit at the tie in before heading up.

Another new ladder for me to try. I felt some wiggle in my tank as I climbed up, I would have to adjust my harness next dive but for now, with some help, I was over and making my way to the bench. It wasn’t bad….a few more tries and I will have the hang of it.

We lounged about and snacked as we waited for the rest of the divers to come up, just enjoying the day and the company. When all were accounted for we readied for the next site. Rich had been wanting to go to the Viscaya all season and we were going to give it a try.

As we approached the Viscaya we could see another boat on the site fishing. We were out on the ocean, the sun was shining and this was not they only wreck in the sea. No problem….Oh look! Over there….. about 150 yards….the Cornelius Hargraves. That works.

The Cornelius Hargraves was a 211 X 45ft four masted coal schooner running at full sail at night in October of 1890. Although she had the right of way and her crew saw the Viscaya…the Viscaya did not see them and they collided, immediately sinking both vessels in 84 feet of water with a tragic loss of life on the Viscaya but all 10 of the crew of the Hargraves were saved. The captain took a lifeboat and abandoned the vessel, later to be charged with cowardice by a crew member who survived by floating on a door. One other lifeboat was put in the water and the crew on that rescued several victims of the Viscaya from the sea and finally several other members lashed themselves to the masts protruding from the water and were rescued the following morning by a passing ship.

We suited up and dropped in. There weren’t nearly as many jellies here and upon reaching the bottom we discovered much improved visibility and a slightly stronger current was most likely the reason. Mark was running the line this time and I was poking…I mean touring. I have a new pistol grip flashlight since having problems with my primary and my backup flooding. I don’t really like it but it works. As we swam along there was a small ocean pout that seemed to be following me, staying just out of my reach but not put off by the fact that I was trying to poke him. I entertained myself by chasing after him for a few minutes trying to smack him with my flashlight like in a whack-a-mole game. I didn’t get him.

I looked in the hideyholes and while I saw several crabs, I found no lobsters. As I looked about the sides of the wreck, I could see they were covered in soft corals and aneomes and I spied the last of the butterfly fish swimming about. Out in the sand we came across several winter flounder and the regular assortment of sea bass and other fish. I picked up a shell to add to my collection and we enjoyed a leisurely swim about the area. Leisurely…it kind of sums up the day. I like it.
As we headed in we took a slight detour to check out some numbers and we rested and talked diving and photography among other things. Rich took some great videos on the wrecks and he found a…..some kind of little critter that he was hoping to identify. Some rope had been rescued and several lobsters were taking the ride in with us. Not a bad day on the water.