THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

I Almost Dove the Emerald Wreck

I have heard a lot about the Emerald Wreck......some day I would like to dive it......
The Emerald Wreck, was so named possibly from the green color of the glass ginger ale bottles found on her or even for the green coloring of the brass that was salvaged off her.
A wooden hulled ship, on the smallish side... A freighter and a mystery for many years, divers normally see the two large steam engines that loom over the remains of the two steam boilers and bits of wood hull and machinery lying along side this main wreckage which then thins out, and disappears into sand as what is left of the ship lies buried.
Several years ago she was the subject of intense search and scrutiny to find the actual identity. After much research it was discovered to be the FRANCES WRIGHT. Originally built in 1864 as the Hibiscus, a wooden hulled steamship 161 ft X 31 ft for the Union Navy, she spent some time during the Civil War as a blockade ship out of the Keys and even helped capture a Confederate ship. Later renamed the Frances Wright and used for hauling cargo, her port propeller shaft broke and fell out of the vessel, creating a large hole. The crew tried valiantly to pump her out and keep afloat until it could be towed ashore but it was in vain. She sank May 1, 1873 in 80 fsw approx 11 miles south of Manasquan Inlet. Many of the artifacts found on this site have a small anchor on them, the emblem of the US Navy.
Even after being identified, most divers still know her as the Emerald Wreck......some day I would like to dive it......

We had a fairly full boat today aboard the Blue Fathoms with myself, Walter, Al R., Mark and guest diver Flo and our mates Jim and Renee and our junior mate Pete.
After nearly a week of rain and cold weather we were treated to surprisingly flat seas and warm air with the sun trying valiantly to burn off the morning haze as we set sail for this weeks dive. It was suggested that we try the Emerald.....did you know it was on my list of dives I would like to do?
I wont say who put us on the site and located the wreckage (e-mail me I will spill my guts), I will tell you that Al R. tied us in, and I wont say who couldn’t find the wreck.....but I will tell you that there is a broken port propeller shaft on the wreck site and the rest of the shaft and port propeller lay about 125 feet away from the main site. If you tie in to the shaft and propeller and run out your reel, even doing a sweep, it is possible not to find the wreck.
I have heard a lot about the Emerald Wreck......some day I would like to dive it......as would everyone else....except Al.....he eventually found it.
Our next dive was on the Seaside Crane Barge, a 250 ft metal barge lying upright and partially collapsed in about 85 ft of water. The crane lies about a ¼ mile away.
The seas had picked up a bit, the air got cooler and some fog rolled in, but it still wasn’t too bad a day. Captain Tony navigated this time and put us on the wreck and Al again tied in. The pool was open......
I had the pleasure today of buddying up with Walter. We went over the side and down the line. As with our previous dive, the water was dark on the way down, with small jellies all around and clearing slightly at depth to about 10 ft of visibility and a slight current on the bottom. I had a new mask on and I cant decide if I like it or not, the water was warm.....66F warm and this dive we didn’t even wear our hoods (it was Walters idea, he is a bad influence on me). We are just rebels, what can I say.
Having a wreck at the end of the line was a welcome sight and we set off to see what we could. The barge is fairly intact and covered in a huge assortment of corals, soft sponges, hydroids and anemones, with a large amount of the frilly lacy kind that sway in the water and highlight the surrounding life. There were a ton of fish around of all sizes and the smaller fish hugged the sides of the barge as we swam past.......then.... I saw it.... Walters hand went out....and reached for the fish....he too is one of us now....a fish poker.....
We swam up and over the wreck to the collapsed portion with Walter shining his light and right off could see a set of claws that looked ready to fight. The claws were so big they looked like they had boxing gloves on. I thought I was going to lift the piece of wreck while Walter did the reach and grab but he went for it all. There was a cloud of silt and I was kicked several times as I tried to get out of the way. I saw bodies writhing and wrestling in the hazy cloud of bottom matter, it looked like a cartoon where you see this huge cloud and just see some arms or legs or a head pop out occasionally only to be pulled back into the fray. And then it got quiet, I was just a little afraid because I still couldn’t see through the silt who had won, but then as the haze cleared I could see Walter stuffing one “nice” sized lobster into his bag. Well done.
We continued on peering about. There were some worthy sea bass and tog about and in the sand I saw the biggest sea robbin I have ever seen. I went down to poke him but didn’t get to play long as Walter takes off too quickly. We continued along circling the entire wreck and then headed up to swim along the top again. The small bass and bait fish were feeding on small bits of fish, swimming about in a frenzy and I was looking all about when suddenly, I wasn’t getting anywhere fast. Something was wrong with this picture and I saw it quickly, a baited hook and 6oz sinker through my sleeve. Jeeze...I just got the suit back again from the manufacturer repairing the last leak... I grabbed the line to cut it and it snapped but the hook also came through.... I signaled Walter that I was done and going up, I had no idea whether I had a small piercing or a tear and I wasn’t going to play around. We headed on up and out of the water, mondo lobster in tow.
After everyone was on board we headed on in, planning one more stop. Near the inlet and between two rock piles it was rumored to be a site for scallops. Al and Walter opted to dive it and find out and we dropped them on in and followed their bubbles until they surfaced.
Unfortunately they only had 4 scallops between them but added to the days total catch of, I believe, 8 lobsters, a bag of mussels and a nice sized fish, I don’t think we will complain. As we passed under the bridge the weather changed once more and became hot and humid, a final quirk in a bizarre days weather.