THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Mohawk


MOHAWK
It actually took several tries to sink the Mohawk. The ship ran aground near Sea Bright in 1928 and another time was deliberately beached after a collision with the SS Jefferson.
On January 25, 1935, 53 passengers, 110 crew and some bulk cargo set sail on the Mohawk for the Caribbean.
The ship stopped outside of Sandy Hook to adjust the compasses and the captain ordered the ship full speed ahead (she was capable of 18 knots) to make up for the time lost.
It was cold, 5F, but the sea was calm and skies clear. The crew did not know their running lights were not operating. The Norwegian freighter Talisman was approaching and saw white lights ahead, but no red or green running lights and dismissed the lights as being a reflection from shore.
On the Mohawk the passengers watched the Talisman approach and were sure the ship saw them and would just pass by, but shortly after 9:30 pm, they watched it smash into the bow of the Mohawk. The modifications necessary to carry bulk cargo involved opening up her watertight bulkheads which caused the ship to quickly fill with water. If not for this the vessel would most likely not have sunk
Panic broke out as the ship listed and lifeboats were frozen fast to the deck. 44 passengers and crew drowned.
The captain tried to beach the ship but failed and sent the remaining crew off, stood on the bridge and went down with the ship as survivors of the wreck watched.
After sinking, the stacks and masts were above the ocean surface, making her a navigational hazard so the Navy blew her up and cleared the wreckage down 60 feet below the surface. During WWII a US Navy blimp mistook the wreck for a U-boat and blew it up again.
The Mohawk is a 387 x 54 ft wreck of an ocean liner in a depth of 80fsw and I am diving it, along with Al, Walter and Jeff.
It was gray and there was a slight drizzle as I came over the Pt Pleasant Bridge, but the air was still warm, nothing like that fateful night. I loaded on board the Spring Tide and we set sail. We tried a few sets of numbers but had no luck so we headed to the Mohawk, another new dive for me. The Sea Lion was just tying in when we arrived and we hailed over to ask to join her. It’s a big wreck, there was no problem.
The water had a slight chop and some current, but with a little work I was down the line with Al as my dive buddy again. Visibility was about 10 foot the worst I have had so far this year but average as Jersey diving goes. I had been warned NOT to poke a monk fish but all else seemed fair game. We tied in and started out. I immediately saw a Sea Robin sitting off to the side of the wreck, here I come!! The walls were covered in large anemones which I have been informed don’t taste good, so I didn’t lick any. I am still in awe of all the different kinds which I see growing on our wrecks. They fascinate me. We saw may small and just a few large sea bass and tautog in among the debris field which is expansive and we followed along until we hit sand and turned and headed out in the opposite direction. The 48 F water was now making my hands really cold and we turned back and went up. The seas had picked up and the line jerked about, I definitely was appreciating my jon line. On the surface, the ladder on the Spring Tide is kind of steep and presented a challenge, it took me a minute to get up.
On the SI we chatted and snacked and compared notes. While I saw none...... there were lobsters out there and proof was in the cooler.
While Capt Bart was in charge, Capt Ron went on down and left a “little surprise” for some future artifact hunting wreck diver. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
On the second dive we were met with reduced viz and cooler water temps of about 5 ft and 45 F. Al again ran the line and this time we went out off the end of the wall and into the sand looking about. I still saw no lobsters but we did find a small ray in the sand, and some hermit crabs and quite a few tube worms which I stopped and played with, poking each one to make it pull into its tube. It was kind of like playing Whack a Mole in some places, poking all about, I was amused and could have stayed and played but there was more to see. A little farther along I found a perfectly intact Oak Leaf. Not as in cluster, as in leaf. I looked all around and could not find the tree. How does a single leaf make it 8 miles out to sea and 80 feet down with out a crease or tear? Things that make you go Hmmm. I put it in my pocket. As we looked about I also found a scallop, which made me chase it, so I put that in my pocket too. And a little farther than that I found a tiny moon snail, so I added him to my collection too.
About now Als reel was about to run out of line so we headed back. On the return trip we found Captain Rons surprise and left it be for future divers. Right before the anchor line Al hit a snag and had to wrap up the reel for straightening out later. My hands were really cold again but I tuffed it out and I ran my line out towards the far side. The Visibility was slowly declining (along with my finger mobility) so we went back and headed up. The thermocline at about 30 feet a welcome relief. This time getting back onboard was more of a challenge. The granny line was gone and the seas had picked up a bit, then as I hit the ladder my BPW and tanks shifted. I must not have had the straps tight enough and with the rolling of the boat each step I took I was pulled precariously to the left. Dang!!! And I had been doing so good.
Once back on deck we secured our gear and headed home. Walter napped a little with one eye open on the way back in, I have no idea where he got the idea that someone would draw a moustache on him if he slept.